Sunday, August 10, 2008

Look and feel of Web 2.0 websites

Design and layout are an increasing part of a writer's role. The way our words look on a page influences whether or not someone wants to read what we've written. Sometimes, as with websites, most of us need the help of a designer. But as with our financial affairs, even though design may not be our area of expertise, we need to keep up with the latest trends.

I was shocked into thinking about the latest look and feel of websites when my online programmer told me my website looked old. "About three years old," he added. After a bit of spluttering, I had to admit that in web terms, three years is old. So I started to research what gives a website a Web 2.0 look and feel. (Web 2.0 websites make greater use of interactive tools such as wikis and blogs.)

During my research, one of the things that stood out most was the way colours in modern websites have much more depth.

I came across an excellent article on Web 2.0 websites at http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/web-2.0-design-style-guide.cfm

This article, which I highly recommend, states that some of the qualities of Web 2.0 websites are:

  • simplicity
  • central layout
  • fewer columns
  • separate top section
  • solid areas of screen real estate (e.g. navigation, main content area)
  • simple navigation
  • bold logos
  • bigger text
  • bold text introductions
  • strong colours
  • rich surfaces
  • gradients
  • reflections
  • cute icons
  • star flashes (star-shaped labels alerting you to something important).

If you want to see some of these principles in action, go to Barack Obama's site at http://www.barackobama.com/

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home